Effective Date: February 9, 2022
The Okanagan Collaborative Conservation Project (OCCP) values and respects your privacy. It is our policy to protect any information we collect from visitors to our website as well as any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) visitors may provide to us through our website.
Topics Covered on this Page:
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Privacy policies of other websites
- How to contact us
- How to contact the appropriate authorities
What data do we collect?
When you visit our website the OCCP automatically collects the following data:
- IP address
- Hardware and software details
- Clicked links
- Content viewed & time spent viewing
- Downloaded content
We will also collect your Email Address and Consent Info if you subscribe to the OCCP Newsletter.
How do we collect your data?
When you contact us using email, your email provides us with:
- Your email address
- Any other personal information you provide
If you subscribe to the OCCP Newsletter, the form you fill gives us:
- Your email address
- Your consent
When you visit the OCCP website:
- The CMS (content management system) the site is built with automatically records your:
- IP address
- operating system
- web browser
- site pages visited
- pages viewed
- time of visit
- referring site
- type of web browser
- type of operating system
- network location
- IP address
- screen resolution
When you look at and/or interact with an OCCP Newsletter:
- Mailchimp uses tracking pixels to record that a newsletter email was opened
- Mailchimp places info into links in the newsletters that let them track and record if a link was clicked
How will we use your data?
The OCCP uses automated tools and Google Analytics to collect site visit data, in order to:
- Help administer and run the OCCP website
- Help troubleshoot problems and track performance
- Help understand how visitors use the site (so we can better serve them)
The OCCP uses Mailchimp to collect emails, consent info, and usage info (i.e. email openings and click-throughs) in order to:
- Email Newsletters to subscribers
- Have a record showing consent for receipt of those same newsletters
- Help us learn what Newsletter content is popular and drives engagement
Data sent to the OCCP via emails is used for the purposes of communications and running the OCCP.
- High level (i.e. not a list of gory details) example?
- High level example?
- No list necessary? Just go with the paragraph text?
How do we store your data?
The site visit data (automatically collected by the OCCP site's CMS) is stored on the secure server provided by the hosting service OCCP uses.
Data collected by Google Analytics and Mailchimp is stored on their respective, and secure, servers.
Data from emails sent to the OCCP is handled by Google's secure Gmail service.
As far as the OCCP website is concerned, OCCP marketing efforts are limited to sending out Newsletters.
If you have agreed to receive OCCP Newsletters, you may always opt out at a later date. Every newsletter includes a button for unsubscribing.
Your Data Protection Rights
The OCCP would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user or visitor to the OCCP website is entitled to the following:
- The right to access
- You have the right to request the OCCP for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification
- You have the right to request that the OCCP correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request the OCCP to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure
- You have the right to request that the OCCP erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing
- You have the right to request that the OCCP restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing
- You have the right to object to the OCCP’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability
- You have the right to request that the OCCP transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using one of the following methods:
- Phone: 250-469-6292
Mail:Okanagan Collaborative Conservation Program,
1450 KLO Road,
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit the OCCP website, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
For further information, visit the All About Cookies website.
- Understanding how you find and use our website
- Understanding what you use (i.e. devices and screen sizes) to visit our website
- Monitoring how fast and responsive our site is for you
What types of cookies do we use?
The OCCP website uses Google Analytics which uses Statistic Cookies (a type of Persistent Cookie) to collect and report information anonymously. These cookies help the OCCP understand how visitors interact with its website.
Session Cookies (a type of Necessary/Essential Cookie) are also used by the OCCP website for tracking basic information about OCCP website visitors, as well as their interactions on the site.
The OCCP website software also uses Functionality Cookies (a type of Persistent Cookie) to "recognize" returning site visitors and "remember" their preferences. These cookies help the site work for its visitors.
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser to not accept cookies. See the All About Cookies website to learn how to remove cookies from your browser. Doing so is not expected to unduly affect OCCP website functionality. However, some minor functionality may suffer as a result.
For the Chrome web browser, see this page from Google: Clear cache & cookies
For Microsoft's Edge web browser, try this page: Delete cookies in Microsoft Edge
For the Firefox web browser, see this page from Mozilla: Clear cookies and site data in Firefox
For the Safari web browser, try this page from Apple: Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac
Privacy policies of other websites
How to contact us
- Email us at:
- Phone us at: 250-469-6292
Write to us at:Okanagan Collaborative Conservation Program,
1450 KLO Road,
How to contact the appropriate authority
Should you wish to report a complaint or if you feel the OCCP has not addressed your concern(s) in a satisfactory manner, you may contact one of the following: the Provincial Information and Privacy Commissioner or the Federal Privacy Commissioner.